In which a writer tests Bradbury's promise that one cannot write 52 bad short stories in a row.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

First Success!

I am happy to announce that I have had my first success. You may recall that my first week's story was rejected with an invitation to submit additional work through a special link. I submitted three stories last night and got a quick response offering to purchase two of the three. The editor suggested  a few edits, which were excellent and made the story better.

So my first literary short story publication is a paying market - which makes me quite happy on the principle that writers should be paid for their work. Here's the acceptance:

Dear Ms. Davenport,

Thanks so much for submitting three more stories for consideration! I very much enjoyed reading them and would be delighted and honored to publish two of them in the next issue of KYSO Flash

“The Lonely Ones” and 
“Bless the Sniper” 

I would like to suggest several small edits to "The Lonely Ones," simply as refinements here and there. Attached is a copy of your story, which includes my suggestions and comments highlighted in yellow.

After I hear from you in return, I’ll email you a publishing agreement which describes the rights we’re interested in for both stories, as well as payment details. Since Issue 3 is scheduled to launch online in 17 days, I hope you will be able to reply within the next day or two. 

I look forward to your thoughts. Thanks again! 

All best wishes,

--Clare 

No comments:

Post a Comment