In which a writer tests Bradbury's promise that one cannot write 52 bad short stories in a row.

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Getting Paid for Literary Fiction

Anyone who knows me knows I rail against the practice of literary journals not paying their writers. They surely pay the printer, the electric company, the web hosting company and so on, but they seldom pay their writers. And without those writers, there would be no journal. That never made sense to me.

The lack of pay was one reason I have been reluctant to send stories out. It simply irked me that I would be providing content without as much as a penny a word of pay. Too many of my fellow writers are so desperate for publication credits that they feel they have no choice but to give their stories away. So when I began this experiment, I concentrated on markets that pay something other than copies. And my first publication will be in a paying market. In fact, that publication, KYSO Flash, has already paid me for two stories that will appear in their June 2015 issue.

If you are looking for a paying market, check them out. The editor is great to work with, quick to respond and a genuinely nice person. And if you are feeling generous and would like to support a paying market, consider making a donation via their Paypal link. We need more paying markets, but we have to support those markets too - by reading the publications, spreading the word and making a donation when we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment